Tuesday, November 26, 2013

A need to document

I was blown away when I found out my brother had a blog. It has a cool name, vitia.org/wordpress/ , which is Latin for sins, faults, abuses. I never think of myself as a writer, Michael is the writer, Minda is the writer. I'm the doer. So when my friend Terry Breschi recommended that I start blogging I thought of it as a compliment, "this guy thinks I have something to say." This was a year and a half ago and since then it has just been sitting in the back of my head. I battle with the doubts of my abilities, the ranking of my priority list (yesterday I determined that NBA2k14 was way too high), and most of all the fear. What will I say? How will I sound? Who is going to read it? When will I have time to write anything?

Then I grab the dry eraser and I erase all of those questions, and I write my response - It doesn't matter, I'm a doer. I can be calculating, but I tend to rely on my instincts quite a bit. I like to shift the question from: "doesn't this suck?" to "how can we change this," or "why am I letting this affect me?" So I change, I decide to not permit the fear paralyze me and I begin to write.

People write for a lot of personal reasons, my blog hopes to be a personal treasure map where I chart the route. The route to what? Self awareness? Contentedness? It doesn't matter, I don't write for destination, I write to help plot my course.

No comments:

Post a Comment